Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fashion From My Perspective: The Negative Goth

Hello everyone,

As I promised, this Fashion From My Perspevtive post is about the Negative Goth.

The Negative Goth (or Ice Goth) is a pretty unknown but very cool goth style. Obivously, black is a colour often seen in the Goth scene. But the Negative Goth is the complete opposite: They wear all white.

The style probably origined back in the 80's, when some Goths would buy second-hand wedding dresses (or the dresses from their mothers) and wore them with their heavy boots, spikes and leather jackets. From that point on, white has also became a populair colour in the Lolita style as well. It creates an innocent -sometimes also creepy- effect.

The clothes are -obivously- mostly white, but can also be seen combined with black, or any other colour, really. It doesn't really matter what kind of white clothing it is, it can be a beatiful white dress with a corset, a parasol and cute boots for a white version of the Cemetary Goth -which I guess is a starnge comparison, but, anyway- or you can go crazy with torn white fishnets for a Deathrock look.

The make-up is often a pale skin with heavy black eye make-up. The lips can be any colour, or white. You can also use white eye make-up instead of black, but this can turn out pretty weird, since white make-up on a pale skin is pretty useless. If you have a dark skin colour however, white make-up is very cool.

The downside of white clothes is that they get dirty easily. So Negative Goth is something that you might want to limit to one outfit, and wear that outfit on days without rain, strong winds, storms, snow or anything like that, and also make sure you don't trip over your white dress please. Imagine what would happen if you fell into wet sand...





I'm not a huge fan of white myself. I think it makes me look even more fat than I already am, so I avoid white clothes as much as I can. But after getting to know the Negative Goth style, I think I should really buy some white clothes for the summer... Yeah, I should. But, enough about me. I hope I've learned you something new with this post, and, well, see you next time!

♣ Gasoline Diamond ♣

Thanks to theultimategothguide.blogspot.com for providing me more info about the style
Special thanks to http://www.odk.com/wilson/goth/150.html for having Negative Goth on your list
Thanks to Weheartit.com for all the pictures in this post

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's kinda awesome. If I choose the right white clotes it can make me look like a gohst-ish figure, which I like, but most white clothes look strange on me. And with 3 furry animals, a workshop with lots of dirty car parts and a garden with a lot of sand at some places, white is, indeed, not always the best choice x]

    ReplyDelete