Monday, June 11, 2012

Review: Black Veil Brides + Yashin @ 013, Tilburg

Yesterday, I went to the Black Veil Brides gig in 013, Tilburg, with my friend Audrie, my sister and my Mother. This is my review, with pictures and video's!

When we arrived at 013 at about 4 'o clock, there were -to our suprise- only about forty to fifty people waiting outside the venue. One of our friends who wasn't going to the concert but lives close to Tilburg and wanted to stand in the line with us had been in Tilburg since one 'o clock and called to tell us he saw three of the band members (later it turned out to be Andy, CC and Jinxx but he didn't know their names) just casually walking around in Tilburg. He followed them and saw them going inside a small restaurant. We met up with him in the city centre and he showed us the restaurant they went in. We just stood outside the restaurant for a really long time, thinking should we go inside or would that make us stalkers and finally we decided to just sit outside on the restaurant's terrace. Just when we wanted to sit down, a waitress came up to us and told us it would be better if we sat inside, because the terrace was very crowded and it was almost empty inside. My friends, sister, Mother and myself just looked at each other and thought fuck this, we'll sit inside. So we went inside. 

Andy, CC and Jinxx were sitting at a table at the back of the restaurant. I think they immediately noticed us and I totally felt like a creepy stalker. Another group of fans who were wearing Black Veil Brides t-shirts sat at a table in the front and saw us enter. When the waitress pointed us to a table only three tables away from the band I heard one of them say 'Oh my God no.'. We sat down and ordered drinks. Let me just tell you that sitting three tables away from Black Veil Brides in an almost empty restaurant is fucking scary and fucking awesome at the same time, and the time we sat there we mostly just nervously laughed and glanced at the guys. I didn't take any pictures (come on, that would make me a real stalker and if you don't believe me well fuck you) but they ordered water melons, they drank coke, and they ate something that looked like huge sandwiches or burgers or something. I don't think the waiters knew who they were serving, which made us look even more awkward in comparison. 

We decided to not talk to them, because we thought they deserved some kind or privacy and they probably already hated us for following them to the restaurant. So we just left, and screamed in silence as soon as we were outside again. 

When we walked back to 013, we spotted Jake and his girlfriend on the street. Two girls were taking a picture with them and we just stood there -again- should we take a picture or not until one of the girls said 'Just ask him, we did it too.' And we asked him to take a picture with us too. I haven't seen the picture myself yet because it's on my friend's phone, but as soon as I have it I will post it here. I promise. 

After taking a picture with Jake, we returned to 013 and waited until we could finally go inside. In the queue, I spotted some people who I also saw at the BVB concert on the 23rd of March in Amsterdam, but the majority I hadn't seen before. Because we had a pretty good spot in the row, we were lucky enough to have a spot at the front inside the venue. There were basically three rows of people standing in between us and the stage. We've never been so close to the front and it was amazing. 

As we stood there, I noticed I had left my earplugs in my bag, which was now in the cloakroom. After about half an hour, my Mom finally managed to give me my earplugs (yes I was the person stressing over not having earplugs but yeah I don't really want to get deaf at fourteen, I hope I wasn't too embaressing) and I didn't have to worry about my ears exploding anymore. 

 Yashin
Source: Google Images
The support act was Yashin. None of us looked them up before the gig, and we were kind of expecting a Japanese band, so we were kind of shocked when they turned out to be Scottish. Their music was amazing, I absolutely loved it. Wikipedia calls them a post-hardcore band, which I guess is a pretty accurate description of their sound. They really got the crowd going, and when they had finished playing, the crowd chanted 'We want more', which I think for a support act is a pretty rare experience. They ended with their song Stand Up which is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. I can't recall the exact words the singer said before playing the song, but he wrote it because when he was younger, people always told him he would never be in a band and never achieve anything in life, and this song was for all of us, as a message to follow your dreams and don't listen to the people telling you you're never going to make it. I really recommend looking the song up if you haven't heard it yet because it's amazing. Yashin is amazing, and I think they're going to get really big. 

About half an hour after Yashin ended their performance, the lights in 013 went out again, this time for Black Veil Brides


Black Veil Brides was amazing. I know there are lots of people out there who hate them, but I loved it. BVB opened with New Religion and Youth And Whisky, which made the crowd go insane and immediately set the tone for the rest of the evening. Every time one of the band members would come remotely close to the edge of the stage, everyone started screaming and tried to touch them. It was pretty funny, to be honest, and the band members loved it too. Because Audrie, my sister and I were standing so close to the stage we were being pulled to the stage every ten seconds, and, well, we didn't have much of a choice but to stick out our hand trying to touch the band members as well. Andy touched my hand. And he took Audrie's hand and held it. Fuck yeah. 

Black Veil Brides also played Children Surrender, Rebel Yell, All Your Hate, Knives And Pens (which my Mom filmed, watch it here), God Bless You, Love Isn't Always Fair, Set The World On Fire, Legacy, Perfect Weapon, and I believe they also played Sweet Blasphemy? I don't remember the correct order of the setlist, but I know they finished their set with Fallen Angels. CC did his awesome drum solo again, which he did in the Melkweg too (my Mom filmed it too and I uploaded it on YouTube, you can watch it here). 

Last time, in the Melkweg, halfway throught the concert we chanted 'Waar is het feestje? Hier is het feestje!' which means 'Where is the party? Here is the party!' but the band thought we were chanting 'We are the spaceship, you are the spaceship'. In 013, we chanted it again and Andy was like 'Ooh you're doing your spaceship song again' and CC did an awesome jam on our spaceship song. But this time, someone decided to also chant 'Bier met tieten tralalalala' which means *ahem*  'Beer with boobs tralalalala'. I don't know whose idea it was to chant that, of all chants, but everyone just screamed along until Andy said something along the lines of 'What, you have a new one? What are you singing, I like t-shirts?' he started singing 'I like t-shirts' and he eventually said 'Good thing you guys like t-shirts. I love them.'. At this point I'm extremely curious about his reaction when he finds out what our t-shirt song really is about... 

As I said, Black Beil Brides was awesome and we were all a little sad when the lights went on again and the concert was over. They did a great performance, we had the time of our lives, and it was even better than at the Melkweg because we were basically at the front this time.
After the gig, we went to the merchandise stand where we brought bandana's, t-shirts and a rubber bracelet from Yashin. One of the two singers, Kevin Miles, was there too. We got his autograph and took a picture with him. He was a super sweet guy! 

When we were outside again, we went to the side of the building where the tour bus was. We waited a little while for the band to come out like they did at the Melkweg, but there was a big fence seperating the fans from the band and because we also had school again today we decided to leave. We got their autographs last time so it wasn't much of a big deal for us. 

Black Veil Brides is working on a new album and I hope they'll come back soon! Yashin was amazing too, and I really think they'll get big soon. 
Thanks for reading! 

xoxo

Gasoline Diamond

All photos and videos in this post are made by my Mom. So © my Mom :3







4 comments:

  1. YAAAY :3
    Ja moeder had best een goeie plek!
    (Al stonden wij VEEEEEL beter natuurlijk) ;)

    Au3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :3 wij stonden echt het beste ooit omg o.o

      Delete
  2. Ha gaaf! Die band is niet zo mijn smaak, maar de sfeer lijkt we wel heel tof =)

    ReplyDelete