Sunday, August 21, 2011

Shop Till You Drop in Breda (The Netherlands)

Sup Guise!

At first, my apologies for not posting anything for a week now, I just wanted to enjoy my last week of holiday. School starts tomorrow (I don't want to think about it; I just don't want to go to school again :')
Anyways, in this post I am going to tell (and show!) you my favourite shops in Breda.
Breda is a city in the south of the Netherlands. I've lived there for almost 13 years so I know where the nice shops are, haha. It's here where I first walked into an alt shop.

Breda has a really cute city centre. It's not really big  (if you live in New York, Paris, Londen or some other big city you'll probably laugh yourself to death because it's so small) but for Dutch standards, it's okay.

Grote Kerk
Source: Google
In the centre of the Grote Markt (which in English would be 'Big Market', literally translated) there's the biggest church in the city. I think it's the coolest one ever. It's called Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk, but the people in Breda call it Grote Kerk ('Big Church') It has been build in the 15th century. It burned down a few times, and the construction process took over 100 years. The church is pretty much the central building in the city. You can see the big tower (I believe it's 98 metres high) from nearly everywhere in the city. Let's begin our shopping route here.

Source: www.dedansendejak.nl
De Dansende Jak
The first shop I want to tell you about is De Dansende Jak. It's an alt shop, and it's located next to the church, in the Torenstraat (the full adress is Torenstraat 16, 4811 XX Breda).
It looks awesome, right? They used to sell loads of nice Gothic clothes, but over the years it became more and more an skater/emo shop. Goths can still find some nice stuff there, you just have to look very good. Some things they sell are Emily The Strange clothing, studded and spiked wristbands, belts, and apart from the usual brands like Hell Bunny and Living Dead Souls, they also sell their own brand called De Dansende Jak, and Skullcandy headphones, Dr. Martens, T.U.K. and Etnies shoes.
Note: De Dansende Jak is leaving (sadly) at August 27, 2011. So if you want to go there, be very quick! They do have a massive sale going on, so you can find nice clothes for a ridicilously low price. 


Cupido Fashion
Source: Google
Too bad the white tigers aren't visible in the photo
Yes, that's right, Breda has 2 alt shops! The other one is Cupido Fashion. It's located in Lange Brugstraat (Lange Brugstraat 30, 4811 WS Breda) a street next to the shopping mall 'De Barones'.
I knew this shop existed for as long as I can remember, but I had never been in there until I was 11 or 12 years old. The kids in my school (and I guess in the whole city) used to be really scared by the white tigers and dolls with dreadlock wigs in the shop window. I always thought it looked cool.
Cupido Fashion sells loaaaaaads of bandshirts (in fact, the entire first floor is just bandshirts, bandshirts, bandshirts and just a few hoodies, slogan shirts, bondage pants and jewelry AND MASKS. They sell MASKS! How cool is that) My sister brought a Nirvana bandshirt there only a few days ago. On the second floor are also shirts, but other clothes too. The dressing rooms are there too.
The woman who runs the shop is the nicest woman ever. My sister and I have a chat with here everytime we are there.
The shop is very narrow, so it's a bit small, but the way it's decorated is just fabulous. There's a huge King Kong statue in the middle of the shop, and there are Chuckie dolls everywhere.
This is my favourite shop.

Toetie Froetie
Okay. Toetie Froetie has. The. Best. Ice. Cream. In. The Whole. Friggin. Universe. Period.
Adress: Grote Markt, at the very end there's an Irish Pub, then Toetie Froetie is at the right corner.
Source: Google
Yes, Breda can be very busy in the summer

Other Shops
Breda has countless other shops. Stores you'll find everywhere (H&M, Zara, Vero Moda, Pimkie, Cool Cat, Miss Etam, Promiss, Bart Smit, Intertoys, Selexyz, and so on) and loads of coffee shops (hehehe xD). It's easy to get in the city centre, you can go by bus, bicycle, or with the train or car if you live elsewhere in the country or world.


Hope this was interesting,

Gasoline Diamond






2 comments: